Saturday, June 16, 2007

A New Genre...at least to me

A library friend of mine hipped me to a genre of fiction that I new very little about...erotica. She even recommended a book or two, so I scurried over to Marina and to my surprise I was able to find one at the Pratt Library. So I requested and have received The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty by A. N. Roquelaure (aka Anne Rice). Let me tell you that I will never be able to hear the story of Sleeping Beauty in the same way again. Very, very steamy!

This got me to thinking about libraries, librarians, and erotica. So off to the internets I went to do a little research, good thing I was at home to do this because I believe the 8e6 filter would have blocked quite a bit of what I found. I searched Google for library, librarians, erotica, and I was amazed of the amount of information that I found. There was a lot of discussion of whether libraries should have erotica in their collection, I wasn't looking that. What I was looking for was whether libraries and librarian were used as settings and character, and also if librarians were writing erotica. I was quite amazed to learn that there is quite a large selection that was library related.

Nerdy No More: A look at the Image and Status of Librarians give an overview of the librarian stereotype and also has a section discussing librarians in erotica.

I was also able to find a couple of authors that are or were librarians: Crystal Jordan, Mara Kelly, and Sabina Sedgewick is the founder of The Kensington Ladies' Erotica Society.

Here are just a few authors that write librarian centric erotica:
John Norman
Adrianna Dane
Priscilla Dewey (I suspect that with a name like Dewey she is a librarian)

Librarian's: We're more than meets the eye.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! I'll have to watch what information I pass onto you in the future! Meanwhile, enjoy Beauty - luckily it is a trilogy!

Stella said...

That's a whole lot of information on "erotica" and librarians! Thanks for passing it on. I'm so glad we're all here for each other--saves us searching for "everything we want to know" because somebody can do some of the work for us.

ChristinaK said...

I have a boxed set of Beauty books signed by Anne Rice. :) Of course, I can't read them (because they're signed by Anne Rice). It's all for the best. Reading smut like that would probably burn my eyes or something. Best to be safe. ;-)

PiratePrincess said...

My stepmom has the Sleeping Beauty trilogy and I've read some of it, although I'm not sure where she put it since she and my dad moved into a new place. I remember it made for some interesting late night reading! haha :p